Sunday, March 18, 2007

Hello all.
This is an email that my uncle sent and it has been forwarded around the world.
My uncle himself received from his friend from USA.
It's about my Ahgong's demise.

Dear Colleagues & Friends,
My family and I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your generous contributions and heartfelt condolences showered on us during the bereavement of our father.

I would also like to take this opportunity to caution all to be aware that you must consult the doctor immediately if you are injured by any crabs and developed such symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, fever and slight swelling of the wound. This is to ensure you do not become another victim of the Flesh Eating Bugs.

Enclosed are the events of what had happened to my father.
My father was pricked by the crabs (bought from NTUC) while washing them at about 11am on 22nd Feb 07.
He was fine until mid-night when he became ill with vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, fever and swelling of the wound.
As he was still conscious, he did not want to go to the hospital for treatment.
At about 6 am, he became semi-conscious and we called for the ambulance to send him to the hospital.
When the paramedic arrived, they advised that he is in very critical condition as his heart beats were irregular and his blood pressure had dropped to very low or critical condition.

He was immediately sent to the nearest hospital (NUH) where the doctor stabilized his condition and immediately operates his hand to try and remove the infection which has traveled up to his elbow.

During the operation, the doctors came back to us and advised that he was infected by the Flesh Eating Bugs and they were unable to remove them. They advised that they need to amputate his hand from the elbow to remove the source of the infection to give him a surviving chance. After the amputation, he was sent to the ICU for observation. His condition was stable but no improvement was seen.

Next morning, 24th Feb 07, the doctors called us back and informed that my father will go anytime and nothing can be done to improve his condition as he was already on maximum dosage of the drugs. The doctors also suggested that we reduce the dosage to let him try on his own to live or go quickly and reduce his sufferings. He died peacefully half hours after the drugs were reduced in the afternoon.

Thank you once again and may you all be well and happy and be blessed with good health.
Warmest Regards
Aik Cheng

My Ahgong's case was also featured on the free Chinese newspapers, My Paper.
A copy of the paper is on their website.
Click here to read the news (it's in Chinese though).
Click here to see the video (my sister's featured at around 3/4 of the video when she's around 6 years old, LOL. And this video can only be viewed in IE.).

My cousin's blog made me cry.
His layout has the words "goodbye, when will I meet you again?".
And his entries made me cry even more.

Feb 25, 2007
He was a great man...A good father and husband...Most importantly...He's the best grandfather i ever had...But he's gone now...I will miss him...Everyone will...24/2/07...13.53...Its the time he passed away...I'll nvr forget this time...I will miss you dearly Ah Gong...You will always be on my mind...Rest in Peace...
This post is specially dedicated to you...Ah Gong...

Mar 4, 2007
Haiz...Its time to move on...He's gone...So be it...I will carry on with my life...Thats wat he wants too...I will nvr open the Ang Bao u give me ah gong...Its the last thing i will ever receive from u...It will always be with me...Goodbye...

Ahgong, I seriously miss you.
You will always be in my thoughts.
And I never regretted having you in my life.
I seem happy and strong and like as though I got over this.
But deep in me I really cannot forget.
I still shout 'Ahgong' whenever I go over to my aunt's house.
Even though he's not there, lying on the bed, taking a nap.
All I see of you is a picture of your younger days, displayed in the room.
There's no more Ahgong to talk to us.
Ahgong is no longer there for me to kiss him goodbye.
I hope you'll be my Ahgong again, in our next lives.
You haven't seen the rest of us get married.
You wanted to live past 100 years old.
I hope you'll have a chance to do so next time round.
I still want to be your grand-daughter.

The tears can't stop flowing,
The heart can't stop aching.
When will I see you again,
My dearest Ahgong?